Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Blast loading on process structures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armar007

Structural
Feb 14, 2005
US
I know there are means and methods of designing Blast resistant "occupied buildings". However, for process structures which are very rarely occupied but could be housing blast capable equipments, do you ever consider blast loads while designing those structures? These are typically open structures - just a framework of beams and columns and grating. No roof or side walls. Is there anywhere in any Code that tells you to add or ignore blast loads for the process structures? Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
-A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of any code that would make you design for blast loads for a process structure. Typically (in such a case) that request comes from a client. (Typically for a control room or something else critical they want to survive a catastrophe.)

The direction must also come from the client as to the level of damage they are willing to take in such a event.

I agree with WARose that blast design criteria is normally stipulated by the owner or a blast consultant working for the owner. ASCE's Design of Blast-Resistant Buildings in Petrochemical Facilities references various industry guidance documents related to explosion hazard assessments that you could look into:

Siting and Construction of New Control Houses for Chemical Manufacturing
Plants
, (SG-22), Chemical Manufacturing Association.

An Approach to the Categorization of Process Plant Hazard and Control
Building Designs
, (CIA), Chemical Industries Association.

Guidelines for Evaluating the Characteristics of Vapor Cloud Explosions,
Flash Fires, and BLEVEs
, (CCPS) American Institute of Chemical
Engineers, Center for Chemical Process Safety

Guidelines for Evaluating Process Plant Buildings for External Explosions
and Fire
, (CCPS) American Institute of Chemical
Engineers, Center for Chemical Process Safety

Management of Hazards Associated With Location of Process Plant Buildings,
(API RP 752) American Petroleum Institute

Status
Not open for further replies.