Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blast Protection for Petrochemical Portable Accomodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

halo8949

Military
Feb 2, 2013

Hi everyone,

I have recently left the Military in the UK and have started university studying a BEng. As part of my course I have to commit to a long term study topic, and I have chosen the protection of workers within portable accommodation situated within an inshore petrochemical installation.

essentially, this is the start of a long journey that will hopefully see me establish my own company in manufacturing blast and ballistic resistant accommodation. However, I have no clue where to start my research apart from the ASCE. I essentially want to familiarise myself with the whole project process from;

A client issuing a specification of blast loadings, through to the internal & external design specifics, to establishing what products/materials to use, to designing a blueprint for the workforce to follow and finally to delivery to site.

It appears that this tends to be quite a generic process given most establishments requiring portable blast units in the UK tend to always use;

32 x 10 portable accommodation unit

100mBar protection
12Kw/m2 thermal radiation
100 milliseconds pulse duration

I just need to establish the full process from receiving a request to build this on behalf of a client.

I would appreciate as much help and advice on what to read up on and any specific design software I could purchase to start practising.

Thank you in advance for anyone that would like to help!

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back