Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block Explode - Autocad Mechanical 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

21Pom

Mechanical
May 1, 2010
AU
Hi All,

When I save a file from Inventor 2012 to an Autocad file it works just fine. I then go to open it, again it works just fine, however the file opens up as a block. Again there's nothing wrong with that.

Now when I go to use the Explode button nothing appears to happen. On checking the drawing, the explode command has in fact exploded the drawing, but it has also made two copies of the original block on top of the now exploded drawings whixh need to be erased before I can work on the drawing. Is this normal?

Rgds
Dave R

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, doesn't seem normal to me. My boss is just getting us started on the path to integrating Inventor with our current AutoCAD operations. The only method I've found so far that seems to work (for me) is to "Export" to SAT, and import THAT into AutoCAD, where it comes in as discrete AutoCAD valid solids , and from there I proceed normally in AutoCAD. We use this workflow to do quick layups (3D) for what-ifs, that we haven't discovered a good workflow process for, in Inventor yet. I'm sure there IS one, I just havent't found it yet.

But - this approach has worked reliably for me, so far.

NOW - I'm aware that there's a way to do it "Right" in Inventor - output to a native AutoCAD 3D Solid model. What's that inventor command ?

Thanks -

Charley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back