Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blowdown Initiated by Flare KOD LSHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

amustha1407

Chemical
Sep 30, 2014
MY
Hi,

Recently i am assigned to be seconded to another oil and gas company. This question may be just resulted in Different company standard, but i am really curious about the philosophy behind it.

So far, what i encountered in oil platform, LSHH at flare KOD (Knock Out Drum) will initiate platform shutdown, but not automatic blowdown. I am in agreement with this as you want to stop all flow feeding into the vessel. This new platform i am assigned to work with is different. LSHH at KOD will not only shutdown the platform, but also initiate blowdown. Does anyone know what may be the philosophy behind it? Wouldn't it be more dangerous if we have a high level in KOD, then we feed the vessel with gas inventory from blowdown?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Did you mean the automatic depressurizing will be triggered by LSHH at KOD simultaneous with platform shutdown? If so, please specify if the depressurizing will be done in sequential manner; i.e. the vessels will be depressurized one after another...

I agree that BD on flare KOD LSHH would be counter productive and dangerous.

E.g. NORSOK (S-001) has the opposite philosophy (isolation but NO blow down)

Bdest regards, Morten

Doing a blowdown on a LSHH in the KO drum is an incorrect action. The resulting flow will potentially carry significant amounts of KO drum liquids up the stack. If you're lucky, these fluids aren't flammable. The good news is that the LSHH will clear. :) Block and hold is the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back