Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLS growth projections for engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cotelecom

Civil/Environmental
Feb 1, 2010
US
The current BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook is claiming a 24% growth rate for the civil engineering industry through 2018 ( Apart from biomedical engineering, they are predicting that civil engineering will have nearly the highest growth rate of nearly all engineering industries. Does anyone believe this argument, or their assumed statistics? I have been working as an engineer for 10 years now and have never seen such a dire landscape for this profession. Granted the current recession has much to do with this fact, but if civil engineering is predicted to undergo a decent bout of growth, then where are all the jobs? As far as I can tell this industry is completely dead in the water, and probably will be for the near future. Why is it that most of the new job postings are appearing in other engineering disciplines (i.e. chemical, mechanical, electrical, and definitely software) when those industries were actually projected to decline instead? I was just wondering what other engineer's thoughts were on the matter. After nearly a decade in this industry, I often find myself wishing I had studied accounting or something with better long-term potential instead. Surely I can't be the only one?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back