Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue flame focusing procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewing

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2006
US
Does anyone know what actually causes the "Blue Flame" to occur while performing a focussing procedure? Is it a chemical reaction between the nitrogen and the stainless steel?
Just Curious.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as i know this is the "hottest" or most powerful part of the laser beam after it extends through your focusing lens. The laser beam is more concentrated at the focal point, which i think would account for it's higher visibility. Stainless steel is also semi-reflective, which more than likely contributes to this as well. oxygen will give you a blue flame too.

you actully don't have to use stainless you can use metal scale free and get the same results as far as i know. I never have used stainless?

Blue flame is actual known as plasma coupling. It is the point were the laser beam couples with the nitrogen gas and ionisation occurs ( stripping of elctrons)
Plasma produces a hotter area than laser which can be destructive or non destruction during laser cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back