Bluetooth Transmitters (Pressure, Flow) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Hi Everyone,

We are adding some additional piping to an existing facility, and need to install instrumentation. As this is an existing site, we are trying to avoid new wiring, and would like to use a wireless tranmisster (powered by solar panels).

We are investigating wireless transmitters (pressure and flow mostly) and are looking into "Bluetooth" tranmsitters. We are primarily interested in pressure and flows.

Has anyone used/bought/installed a blue tooth transmitter? What are your thoughts/experiences/concerns?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought Bluetooth had a very limited transmitting distance. Something like 20ft max.

I believe most of the communication is in the 900-930Mhz operation, but I'm not sure what protocol this is.

Plus, if any of the instrumentation is used for control, I wouldn't recommend using wireless just yet. I'd stick with hardwiring. If the instrumentation is just for indication, wireless is great.

Thanks controlnovice.

Your are right. I think I read that the maximum distance for Bluetooth is about 25ft, which is sufficient for us to get the signal back to the local panel/RTU.

Have you used Bluetooth transmitters?

No Bluetooth. We've used some of the others for greater distances on tank leveling only. I'm not sure the protocol of the communication though.

Many transmitter manufacturers are going after the wireless market for distances under a kilometer. Honeywell did a presentation at my office a few months ago. Emerson (Fisher-Rosemount) should also be in that market.

John

No.

My recollection of Bluetooth was as a wireless connection for a room in a house. For the PC market, Wi-Fi took the market for multiple rooms, etc.

Phoenix and many organizations offer wireless accessories to send a signal somewhere.

John

Some of the Wireless Key Words include Spread Spectrum, Frequency Hopping and Wireless Mesh Networking. TIA-683-C Over air mobile spread spectrum covers some of the protocol.

I regard the wireless stuff as suitable for monitoring but would need lots of experience before I used wireless for control.

I see Bluetooth on the web labeled as "Personal Area Networking".

John

Yes, Bluetooth is typcially in consumer electronics - thinking cell phone head set, PDA, printers, etc.

We came across some info on Bluetooth transmitters. Since our distances is relatively short - about 20 ft - we are looking into this. Unfortunately, we can't recall where we seen it, and are now digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back