Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BMS Grade Combustion Detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TISM

Chemical
Jun 21, 2003

Dear Eng-Tipsters,
Help! I am stick in rural India commissioning a rice hull furnace. Due to the lack of propane we need to modify the start-up sequence to start with rice-hulls from cold. We have propane pilot burners monitored by a BMS as an ignition source and overall PLC control. My problem is how can I monitor combustion of the rice hulls in a safe (high integrity) manner when there is no flame when the hulls burn. There is IR, so I was wondering whether there is an IR as opposed to UV based combustion monitor. While the PLC can monitor the temperature in the furnace as a means of confirming combustion, it is a PLC and therefore considered too unreliable for the task. Ideally I want some type of monitor that can bee hardwired directly to a BMS. I suppose the same issue is faced by systems burning wood and biomass and waste that do not produce strong flames. Any assistance in this matter enabling me to go back home would be greatly appreciated.

TISM [rockband]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back