Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boat stuffing box seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverdoo2

Industrial
Nov 23, 2003
US
I am look for a seal that will work in a boat stuffing box. Right now I am using Chicago rawhide 8660. (shaft .875-bore 1.375-OD 1.379-width .25 made of nitrile)
The front seal seats in oil only. The rear seal seats in both oil in the inside and water on the out side. The shaft can turn at 8000 rpm. I think what happens the oil/shaft get hot and make the nitrile soft a little, then I water coming in. I am looking for a idea for new seal that can replace the ones that I am using. Do you have any suggestion? Thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

riverdoo2, contact a company called slade, they produce a packing that has been used on stern tubes for years with major success. NO LEAKAGE, NO WEAR

mogle

What is the application? 8,000 rpm seems awfuly fast for a propeller. Is this for a thruster jet?

There are several companies that speciallize in mechanical seals for marine applications. Wartsila is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Mogle stated that the Slade packing is superior. I suggest Flowserve FGC as the best in my experience. And it should be at a lower cost.
Pacwizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back