Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bogus Solidworks User Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiLLaK

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2002
US
Sorry if this is in the wrong area...
Anyway...and just for information, I have tried to get the Manager of the Solid Solutions Site to do something about this...as he advertises the SWUGs...but, I seem to be ignored!!!
Anyway, here in North Eastern Ohio (Cleveland-Akron Area), the only SWUG is through a place that sells SW and has training classes, etc.

Funtech SolidWorks User Group
Company: Fisher/Unitech
6900 S. Edgerton Rd. Suite 107
Brecksville, OH 44140
USA
Phone: 440-838-1844
Fax: 440-838-1135
Email: welch@funtech.com

Well, you have to be a paid client to belong to their SWUG. As far as I was aware...User Groups were to benefit the Users of the Software...not offer financial compensation to Solidworks Reps...Anyone else having this problem?
BTW, I belong to the Akron Area Linux User Group...they not aligned with any company, etc...and there are no fees or contractual conditions to belong...quite a different story, eh???
And, yes, I could probably start another SWUG...if I wasn't already working 12-15 hours per day.
Thanks for reading this...
Kelin
Project Engineer, Akro-Plastics
ps. As I stated, I have been through this, repeatedly with the Site Master of Solid Solutions, and it seems to me that they should not be promoting or advertizing a SWUG that you have to pay to belong to, etc...
I have also discussed this with Funtech...to no avail.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like Funtech is a VAR that has estamblished a UG for their own ends (self-promotion). The availablity of UGs depends largely on the number of SW users in a particular area.

Heck, I'm in Los Angeles, and was very surprised to learn there were zero UGs in this area. Plenty farther south and north (like San Fransico).

An option that I have been toying with, and something you might wish to follow, is to look into starting up your own UG. You'll get plenty of support from SW Corprate, and if you play your cards right, might be able to get a listing of companies that use SW from another VAR in the area.

Good luck. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Hey neighbor! I, too, live and work in the Akron/Cleveland/Canton area. Like you, I do not have that much free time, so I never looked into a SWUG. There is another VAR in Willoughby, Progressive Computing ( That's where I do my business. Sure sounds like this other company is trying to stick it to you. I sent a question to a contact at my VAR about this issue. I will post any worthwhile feedback. I can't imagine that SolidWorks would be too happy about this... DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back