Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Boiler Commissioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strawb

Mechanical
May 26, 2001
GR
Could anyone supply a step by step start-up procedure for oil fired boilers (produciing staem for power generation)?

I am especially interested in the sequence involving "Boil-out and Chemical clean". Does this take place after initial start-up using generated heat or is temporary plant normally used to steam blow out?

Thanks
Strawb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically there is a portable setup brought onto the site for the express purpose of the "steam blow", this along with the traget plates and holder for verification of cleanliness is normally provided by a "third party" company that is into testing boiler installations albiet a new one or following a major rebuild. This is done prior to actually startup of the boiler for the first time of usage and before any steam is ran through the turbine as is the case for a power generation plant.

Hey Guys,
I am on a team looking at the commissioning programme for 2 No. 21 Tonne Steam Boilers. The Manufacturers are stating that a pre-clean is not required, however, I have spoken to a number of water treatment companies about this. I have not received a definitive answer.

The manufacturing process of the boilers is clearly a dirty process, and there is a large risk that the boilers will be contaminated with millscale, oils, or slag from the manufacture of the boiler. In order to carry out a thorough passivation, the boiler should be chemically clean. If these products are not removed, corrosion will occur.
Are you aware if there any recommendations or guidance documents relating to boiler boil-outs.

Cheers
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back