boiler pipelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

charls1

Electrical
Dec 24, 2022
ID
Hello my Engineer colleagues
We need your advise. if we have 2 boiler units, 1 unit with a capacity of 10 tons/hour and located in factory A. 1 unit boiler with a capacity of 8 tons/hour and located in factory B. The distance between factories A & B is 100 meters. each boiler has a steam header. A steam pipeline will be made between factory A & B boiler headers with the function of backing up each other.
which one more efficient for steam pipelines connected between factory A & B boiler headers are using 1 steam pipeline or 2 steam pipelines?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So it sounds like you're just connecting one header with another header to create one long header??

why would you even think about 2 lines?

And what do mean about "efficient". Efficient in what?

Your biggest issue is probably excessive heat loss and condensation as the steam in the inter unit connection might not move much or at all depending on steam production and steam usage in both factories.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch
Yes, correct only connecting one header with another as a back up when 1 boiler having problem or overhaul

Consideration if using 2 pipelines will impact to cost

Efficient in steam utilization

Charls1,

Most likely it will fall into ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code. Look at the Scope Diagrams on what type of Boilers are your and go from there.

For drum type boilers Headers fall under BPVC Sec I Code. If this is the case, as your intent is connecting Headers, I would say the connecting piping should fall under ASME BPVC Sec 1.

GDD
Canada

ASME sect I has rules that apply to more than one boiler interconnected on a header system. To protect workers inside the steam drum during outages, there must be double block and bleed valves on both the steam headers system as well as on the feedwater and other interconnected lines. If you have any doubts as to its importance, I suggest you crawl into a steam drum during an outage and imagine steam leaking into it .

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

I do not understand:

"which one more efficient for steam pipelines connected between factory A & B boiler headers are using 1 steam pipeline or 2 steam pipelines?"... and: "Consideration if using 2 pipelines will impact to cost"

Can you restate this ?.... As stated above, What do YOU mean by "more efficient"?

Do you mean: - more thermally efficient ?... Less capital coat ? ...less maintenance cost or what ?

Competent Steam piping design and stress analysis is the big league ...and should not be attempted by the maintenance staff with pick-up labor from the roadside. Get some experienced engineering services

You have not mentioned operating/design pressures and temperatures

How big is the piping you want to use and waht is the material selected ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The interconnection could be at the header, or it could be easier to place it in a location downstream where the double block valves could be position to ensure steam isolation between the points of interconnection and the boiler houses. As stated above the stress calculations between two systems that were not designed planned to be interconnected will need a well thought out design.

Regarding thermal efficiency, "Standing Losses" are a function of surface area, steam temperature, and insulation thickness.

If you plan on valving off the tie pipeline when it is not needed to save some of the standing loss, be aware of increased corrosion rates when cold, and dead leg water hammer problems on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back