Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boiler Rm Heat Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosgw

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2004
US
Looking for options for providing heat control in a boiler room.
It has steam boilers and domestic water heaters.
It does not have high-low air inlets. This is the first option but it may not be enough. The room is underground so it will be hard to install (will probably do it anyway). It Currently has a couple high louvers (probably under sized).
Some of the piping and breeching is not insulated. (second thing that needs to be done)
Don't want to install an exhaust fan due to the boiler venting.
Just looking for other things to consider.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Insulate everything you can then add as much cooling as you need/can get. Not much else to consider unless you want to evaluate actual cooling sources (chilled water? geothermal? packaged DX?)

We are probably adding gravity ventilation. Luckily there is already an access areaway to the boiler room.
I can't imagine any situation where I would use mechanical cooling.
I was thinking more of fans with variable speed control so a nuetral pressure can be maintained with variable firing of the boilers and heaters.

Have you done it? What fans did you use.
I was think of an exhaust fan to control temperature and a supply fan to control pressure.

Use 2 pressure sensors, one for atm pressure and one for blr room pressure. Track SA and EA fans with variable speed drives to maintain proper differential. If the boiler room pressure is really critical, you could use duct-mounted flow stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back