Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bollard Design 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is there a recognised standard for design of bollards? The would be HSS and with or without concrete filling. This might include loadings and or sizes, etc. If not, is there a publication on the force/energy design of these?

Thanks Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks... the Traffic Guard was an excellent site, with lots of 'good' information.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks IRS... The purpose is to protect equipment from forklift damage.

-----*****-----

-Dik

While the application isn't specifically for anti-terrorism, there may be some utility in examining measured for that intent. Specifically, bollards for protection are angled toward the direction of the expected threat; this provides an added measure of strength, since there's no reason to make the bollards be symmetrical in protection direction/angle. Angling the bollard could reduce the required thickness of the bollard, since the collision energy is directed downward into the ground by the angled bollard.

If there's any possibility of the equipment being moved in the future, then portable/movable barriers might be in the cards

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Another bps... thanks, IRS

-----*****-----

-Dik

dik - also note that there are two types of bollards in the known universe.

1. Bollards that are built (and tested per ASTM) to actually resist or significantly diminish an impact force.
2. Bollards that are built as psychological barriers to help "assist" mad forklift drivers and others from backing into, clipping, or otherwise targeting valuable elements such as doors, building columns, equipment, etc. Upon impact they really do nothing other than provide a small noticeable bump so the drivers know they hit something and perhaps respond quickly.

Forklift drivers apparently get points for hitting things although this isn't typically revealed in their union contracts or labor policies...but it's there I assure you! :)

Thanks JAE... mine is of the latter. I've seen heavy W12 sections nearly destroyed by forklift. The only thing that really protects a column, I think, is a concrete 'elephant's foot' at the base... about 3' dia and about 4' high. At the end of the day, I think they get an award...

I was thinking that my client's a metal fabricator, and the owner might be better served using a Jersey Barrier.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Have you seen Jersey barriers on the freeways? Those tire marks go up and OVER ;-)
That should tell you something about what your forklift drivers might be capable of. I'd also imagine that they'd run into the barrier with the forks at maximum height to get as much reach as possible, so preventing the forklifts from tipping over when hitting the barrier might be a priority requirement.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I was thinking of it being cautionary... not a real barrier and it could get knocked into the equipment. My client is the steel fabricator, I'm not going to suggest concrete 'stuff'.

That's actually a real valid concern; I hadn't considered it. Do you have any suggestions on how to mitigate this?

-----*****-----

-Dik

there are plastic jersey barriers that you can fill with water you could use. Easy to move around as well. Not sure if thats really the direction you wanna go but it is an option

Thanks... but I've seen what forklift tines can do...

-----*****-----

-Dik

If you're concerned about overturning then you could suggest a dual system with two sets of bollards. The first set of bollards (closest to the forklift) could be designed lightly, with nominal anchorage; just enough that a quick bump wont break them but that full tilt will murder them. This would cause the forklift operator to slow down, presumably, before they hit the second bollard which would have considerable anchorage.

Perhaps even using as the first set of bollards one of the pre-designed ones that have a built-in hinge and bend. Here's an example. If there's a bunch of them you could probably design the spring mechanism yourself and have the fabricator make it all - would be cheaper given the $600 price tag (maybe non-retail would be significantly less though so I would check first).

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

I've got it... thanks... everytime I visit their website... I seem to download a few of their publications... it's a great site.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back