Bolt Design (Length Of Engagement) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channo

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2023
IN
Hey,

I am in the process of designing a shear loaded bolted joint. I came across a formula in Machinery's Handbook for thread length of Engagement as shown in pic.

The formula doesn't seem to contain any consideration for the load applied. So, does that mean the length of thread engagement doesn't depend on the load?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2b2e0c25-086a-4cdb-a801-004eee6ee853&file=Screenshot_2024-03-23_103552.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Channo

That formula develops the full strength of thread to prevent stripping of the male/ female thread based on the tensile strengths of the screw/bolt material. If the male and female threads have the same material propertied the length of engagement is usually less than the engagement required if the female threads have an inferior strength to that of the male threads.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

IMG_0773_m46pkp.png

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back