Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt Hole on CJP weld line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nymous

Structural
Feb 21, 2005
PE
I need some sources or references to sustent my position in order to reject a steel member which has a shop welded splice with a bolt hole located on the line of welding. The joint is a CJP and is joining WF shapes.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards.

Nymous.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your feeling is that the steel member should be rejected you are probably right and you should be encouraged to follow your opinion.
In general, however, to decide on such a matter, a stress analysis should be performed that takes into account the direction and amount of stresses in relation to the weld.
Furthermore it would be important to establish if the steel member is subjected to fatigue stressing.

I'm showing considerable ignorance here, but what exactly is the problem? I know we don't like it, but the weld and the hole are both fatigue category B.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

Nymous,
Just a quick question here- I am wondering why you are looking for substantiation to reject something instead of tools for evaluation to see if it will really cause a problem or not?

No one can answer the problem without
knowing the application and how the
hole is used or even the forces that
are acting on the weld. The problem
is too vague. What forces are acting
on the weld design?

Just in general, though, there's an overall idea that "drilling through welds is bad". Let's assume tension across the welded splice, with a bolted bearing connection.

Hg

Eng-Tips guidelines: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back