Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolt on Vortex Breaker 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Garrett

Civil/Environmental
Apr 19, 2023
US
I need to install a vortex breaker on the inside of a tank. The area is tough to get to so I was hoping to find a bolt-on vortex breaker to avoid doing any welding in that area. Is there a place to buy vortex breakers online? I don't find anything when I search. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mark Garrett said:
Is there a place to buy vortex breakers online?
Vortex breakers are too simple and cheap to be retailed. One should sell a million pieces a month to recoup investment in business start meanwhile those are rarely demanded. You are able to manufacture it by yourself from 2 pieces of metal scrap and modify it for installation by bolting instead of welding.
See ANSI/HI 9.8, CEN/TR 13930, articles or try to find corporate practices (e.g. Shell's dwg. S10.010 is one of a popular sources).

Thank you both LittleInch and shvet for your quick responses. You're right, I should have provided more details. Here is a sketch of my problem. I need to install a vortex breaker on the inside SIDE of a tank that I have limited access to. In addition there is a pipe, located 12" from the vortex breaker area so I have limited space in front. The tank fitting is intended to be a bulkhead fitting so to avoid welding. See attached sketch for general area.

What could I install in that small area that acts as a vortex breaker for the outlet on the sidewall?

Vortex_Breaker_eefaq8.jpg

I am working to become better at my drawing skills, I am using them more and more these days. Thanks for your help.

-Mark

Plan view or side view?

Do you have access to the other part of the pipe or can you cut it to get access from the outside?

What is the elevation level wrt to pipe entry into the tank and liquid level?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch, thank you for your response. I have updated the drawing to show the access to the tank and the height of the centerline of vortex breaker location.

Vortex_Breaker_SKETCH_hjfsn1.jpg

It is unknown right now the exact water level above the proposed 6" outlet, but let's assume the water level is 24" above the top of the outlet.
See bottom right corner of below image for location of vortex breaker associated with drawing above.

Screenshot_2023-04-20_142857_al74xn.png

We are putting an outlet on the bottom side of the bottom right corner and have a downpipe in the immediate area minimizing space. If we were to weld on a vortex breaker, would you recommend a flat plate or a cupped plate? Do we also add a cross in the outlet or is the plate sufficient?

Thanks

-Mark

The question is, why do you need a vortex breaker?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

At worst I would just add a 6 x 10 reduced, as long a bit of 10" pipe as would fit with a cap on the end then cut out the lower half of the 10" pipe. Or if that won't fit then a 6" pipe with the lower half cut out and an end cap. Or cut slots. So many ways to get it to fit in. Or a 90 elbow and do the same thing.

You can stick in a an internal cross to stop fluid swirling in the inlet.

But what sort of velocity have you got int he 6" pipe?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back