Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bolt preload

Status
Not open for further replies.

christophersrikanth

Structural
Apr 1, 2013
GB
thread725-272020
I am very eager to see the link (jpg image) mentioned by Tmoose in his post in the above thread. Can someone help? The image appears lost-if Tmoose read this-pls can you re-post the image?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Christopher,

I think the picture was just a woodworking clamp like this one. With pivots at all screw interfaces.

I think I was trying to say that even with a very short fastener length tightening the fastener still exerts a force (on the hapless creature trapped in the jaws). I think "preload" is the force exerted, not whether a significant hunk of fastener was stretched elasticly to generate the force. Short grip length is always a poor design feature on a hard working bolted joint because it is so vulnerable to preload loss from small amounts of relaxation, embedment etc.

The widely maligned torque/tension tables can be used to get a useful feel of how much clamping is generated by tOrQuinG a fastener of any length. I think the admittedly potentially more accurate Turn of the nut or bolt stretch methods are in trouble when used to secure thin parts like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back