Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bolt Spacing Requirements for Flange w/O-Ring seal in VACUUM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speckworm

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2010
US
I'm searching for any information regarding BOLT SPACING on large custom mating flanges (48"-120”) that seal a VACUUM vessel with an O-RING. I cannot find any literature with this combination to determine minimum # of bolts. Appendix 2 and Appendix Y only seem to account for positive pressure. Configuration matches App.Y-5.2 Category 3 with an o-ring groove and no hubs. (Bolted flanged door to a vacuum chamber.) I don't see where B16.5 rates for external pressure and Taylor Forge eq. seems to apply for leakage and/or bending between bolts which I do not believe are the same for vacuum. Is there ANY published guidance for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Speckworm,

You need enough bolts to provide sufficient preload to obtain the required compression on the o-ring(s) - usually 20-30%. If it is a vertical joint, the weight of the top assembly may well be sufficient to obtain the compression, meaning Compositepro is correct and no bolts are needed. As far as bolt spacing, I would say it depends on the gravity loading on the joint and flatness of the two mating surfaces.

There are standard types of couplings for vacuum service. Look up Nor-Cal, MDC Vacuum, A&N Corp., etc.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back