Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bolted cover for studding outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBKN

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2018
CA
I am redesigning a vertical Sec VIII Div 1 Vessel (24" OD x 48" OAH with ASME Elliptical head on both ends )
MAWP: 600psi @ 300 deg F

There is a studding outlet ( 18.75" OD x 13" ID, with 16 drill&tap holes at 16.25" BCD ) on the top head. I want to add a cover to this studding outlet using Compress. But blinds can only be added to studding outlets that have standard BCD.

My question is, is the any alternative way in which the Bolted Cover thickness can be verified using Compress? Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can always generate a second calculation for the cover.

Generate a calculation for an appendix 2 calculation with all of the same gasket/bolting geometry as the studding outlet. Then add a cover to this flange.

Just make sure you're careful and check that a number of details match the main vessel calculation. For example, make sure that the MAWP (if you're using a calculated value), the hydrotest pressure, etc... are all the same.

Unfortunately there are quite a few times when you have to generate secondary calculations in Compress as work-arounds.

Cheers,
Marty

@marty007 I did that. The appendix 2 flange thickness comes out higher than the studding outlet thickness, but that was expected. I guess in second calculation i just have to check the bolted cover's thickness, flange thickness will be irrelevant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back