Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolted Joints - Recommended Norms ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFEMcredible

Aerospace
Jan 15, 2005
FR
What aerospace norms()or references do people use/recommend for detailed stressing of bolted joints ?
Which are the most used in aerospace circles?

Thank you
Mr. F.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bruhn, Niu, NACA, standard texts, any bolt text (aerospace bolts aren't especially "special")

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

faq725-600

Some specific to aerospace not included in the FAQ above:

DOT/FAA/AR-MMPDS-01
MIL-HDBK-60
MIL-DTL-1222J
NASA NSTS 08307
NASA MSFC-HDBK-2071
ECSS-E-HB-32-23

In addition to what r1957 and CoryPad have mentioned.

There are "best practices" that should be employed when installing any larger cluster-pattern of fasteners in primary or even lighter secondary structure. these practices ensure even settling of parts together resulting in best/optimum fastener load distributions and minimal structural distortion. IF structure is assembled without employing these "best practices" then really odd assembly problems will surface, or in-service premature failure are highly likely.

These best practices are especially critical when assemblying structure with various type fasteners [solid/blind rivets, bolts/nuts, lock-bolts and/or Hi-Loks, blind-bolts, etc] and fay surface sealant.

I haven't got time to note these specific practices, right now.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust Me! I'm an engineer!

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant û "Orion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back