Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bolted Storage tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHUSSXIII

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2022
CA
Hi Esteemed engineers. I am trying to find information on Bolted storage tanks specifically on the maximum operating temperature a bolted storage tank can operate when storing petroleum products. Does it have the same design temperature restriction as welded steel storage tanks? Appreciate any info. Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd call a bolted tank supplier. But in my experience, bolted tanks use a lot of caulks and gaskets that would be susceptible to high temperatures. Plus bolted tanks are generally pieces of crap.

You'd need to contact the specific supplier of that tank.
The main concern would be suitability of the gaskets, I would think.
For welded tanks, API assumes no change up to 200F, then reductions in allowable stress beyond that point up to 500F.

50 or 60 C is my best guess, especially for "Petroleum products".

Too much expansion and everything will start to leak or drip and the seals between each sheet are normally some sort of elastomer which doesn't like much more than those sort of temps.

But they are very vendor dependant and there is no known code other than a water code probably about their design and manufacture.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you all for the informative response. It seems the main concern falls on the Gaskets used. As advised by JStephen & JedClampett, I will certainly be in touch with a supplier.

Have a great day all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back