Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bolts, Nails, Material Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coulomb

Structural
Sep 9, 2005
CA
Does anyone know which values I can effectively use for the axial and shear stiffness of bolts and nails which I am modeling as link (nonlinear) elements. Also, for contact surfaces what are stiffnesses that I should be using?

I am also looking for material properties of medium density fibre boards.

Can anyone help?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The values for bolts and nails depend on the strength desired from them. You can look up commonon material properties in the back of a mechanics of materials book. Bolts come in different strengths like low strength type used in bridges: ASTM A307 or high strength such as ASTM 315 and ASTM 490. You can check out the AASHTO for values regarding coefficent of friction when bolts are in contact with paint, no paint and are slip critical. AISC also has alot of properties regarding bolts with diffeent allowable stresses. Beware that AASHTO tends to be a little more conservative regarding these values and that different books may recommend diffent values. For nails and fiber boards id do a google search on these items and youll probably get alot of hits from vendors. From there you can dive into their on-line catalog to get the properties you need.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back