Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM FROM ASSEMBLY 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdossaji

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2003
US
I want to create a customized BOM on spreadsheet from an assebmly. If anybody is familiar with proe, there is a BOM icon that allows you to generate a file that can be edited using word. Can it be done as such in SW?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks has two BOM choices; a native version and one using MS Excel. When using the Excel version, it can be saved as an Excel file which then can be used for any purpose.

I would think that SW should add this as an enhancement. Most of the engineers at our plant do not create drawings we just issue BOM and models. Our drafting takes care of drawings.

Your one of the few that does this. Most everyone Ihave ever spoke too always wants this to be taken care of in the Drawing and that the drawing side of SW needs improvement. Which is were SW05 comes in ot play this year.

Your request will have to be placed in as an ER (Enhancement Request) at
A away around it be to put the assembly into a drawing produce a BOM. Export that BOM as a .csv, .txt or if you use the Excel based BOM, a .xls file. Then you can close the drawing and go back to the assemlby. Then insert that BOM into your model via, Insert\Object.

It will not be linked to your assembly, but all the data from the BOM that you exported from the drawing file will be there.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

FYI: I think (i'm not at the office so can't check) you can''t just save the bom but you'll have RMB on the BOM and select save as template or something like that.

Tick,

Can the macro be setup to where it reports the BOM as it is assembled. Currently it displays from lower to higher numerical value part numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back