Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM & Lightweight Assy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellBell

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2005
US
I searched the forum, but didn't find anything on my question.

I've noticed w/ several assemblies that if you create a BOM in a drawing while the model is lightweight, the BOM is all screwed up (like not calling out the right info for the properties selected to be in the BOM). As soon as the assembly is changed to resolved, the BOM is fine.

Just wondering if this is something SW is programmed to do (& if so, for what reason) or if it's a bug that anyone else has experienced?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ShellBell

As far as I know this is normal. I have the same thing happening on my Assembly Drawings. Once the Drawing is resovled the BOM is ok. Not all the required information is there for the BOM to update because it is in Lightweight. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ralph

cadman1997 is correct.

SW-Help said:
Lightweight drawings are analogous to lightweight assemblies. When a drawing is lightweight, only a subset of its model data is loaded in memory. The remaining model data is loaded as needed.

Performance of drawings of large assemblies is improved significantly with lightweight drawings. Loading a lightweight drawing is faster than loading the same drawing with fully resolved parts.

Lightweight drawings are efficient because the full model data is loaded only as it is needed.

SW2006 may have addressed this "problem". Almost everything that can be done in a fully resolved drawing can be done in a lightweight one.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back