Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOM Sorting Order 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_Haymore

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2016
US
So I've read through current posts and don't see anything that addresses the issue I've ran into.

I currently have 2 different Parts List templates to use, one was created and shown to me when I was hired, the other I made myself. So far as I can tell, the only difference between the two SHOULD be that the one I created auto balloons without stubs, while the other one auto balloons with stubs. However I have also noticed a difference in how the parts sort.

The older parts list sorts by the first digit number then by alphabet, while the parts list I created sorts first by alphabet then by full number. Example:
Old
ale
erk
zzk

New
ale
erk
zzk

I can't seem to find this in the settings or know how to change it. Any Ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to sort the parts list in the template parts list file (see image on how to do the sort)
I mentioned in one of your previous threads on how to create a template parts list.
2017-01-18_21-07-32_ylu16r.jpg

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX3 to NX11 with almost every MR (24versions)

Thank you for the responses. That thread is one I came across prior to posting this question and it doesn't quite address the issue I am running into. Also, thank you again PhoeNX for your post about creating the template, that has helped. I do have the template sorted already and have double checked it as well. The issue isn't that I can't sort, but how it is sorting.

In the one case, selecting to sort by part number A-Z prioritizes the first digit number, then the second digit number, ... , then it moves on to alphabet. In the other case, selecting the same sort function has different priorities. This one first prioritizes alphabetically, and then by lowest to highest number. Given the same part number set, his results in the two lists in my first post.

What settings cause this disparity? I know how to sort, I have the sort function selected in the template in both cases, but I get different results. I'm trying to take the "New" case in my original post and have it sort instead like the "Old" case, where it prioritizes numerically then alphabetically.

are you able to upload the old & new parts list templates?

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

I didn't have time to test my theory, but the difference I see between the two parts lists (see images below) is that your part number column in the original is of type 'text' whereas the custom is 'number'.
That to me is the cause of the issue for the way it will evaluate the contents for sorting.

Also, not really a big deal, but I would only ever have one key field for a parts list (your custom one is correct on that, the original isn't).
I would normally use the Part Number, but description will work as well. The key field is what is used as the way of establishing the quantities of parts.
So any attribute value in a key field column that is the same will be combined for quantity. So I would always recommend using the column that is unique to individual parts (P/N or Description are the usual ones).

2017-01-20_8-17-29_p1ytig.jpg

2017-01-20_8-18-59_rc4dtf.jpg

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back