Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bond/epoxy for cleanroom, stainless steel to ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjellin

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2001
US
I need to find a "cleanroom safe" epoxy or other adhesive to bond a cylindrical spacer (of a material that is yet to be determined)inside a stainless steel tube (.125" ID, .150" OD). I was planning on the undetermined material to be a plastic, such as PPS, Peek, acrylic, pvc or other. The main concern is that the bond is "cleanroom safe", as the stainless steel tubing will come close to wafers. The bond can't be something that will crack and flake causing lots of particles. There will be minimal forces involved on the bond, strictly holding the spacer inside the tube, and preventing it from rotating or slipping out. Press fit is not an option at this point. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are space-qualified epoxies characterized by low-outgassing. Also, most of the semiconductor diebnod epoxies should be of the same nature, at least those that were intended for military qualified devices.

TTFN

I am presently unsure if this is qualified as "clean room safe", but Moisture cure urethanes provide all the qualities listed. Flexibility up to 200% elongation (no cracking, flaking), excellent adhesion and strength.

I hope I've helped John Schrock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back