Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bonding fiberglass to copper underwater 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

olmanpete

Materials
Oct 26, 2009
US
My 60 year old swimming pool houses the filter in a 14" diameter copper pot that extends 26" below ground. The soil here is decomposed granite which is quite acidic and eats copper. The copper pot has developed many pinholes and is ready to fail. I propose to line it with one or two layers of 30 mil fiberglass sheet that I have. What would be a suitable bonding sealant given that I don't dare do a lot of sanding of the surface and do not want to drain the pool given our cronic water shortage?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might isolate the filter from the pool and drain it, e.g., by sealing off the appropriate pipes with plywood plates attached with caulking, or by stuffing the pipes with bread.

If you can't do that, you might have some luck with marine caulks, some of which will cure underwater. The first one that comes to mind is 3M #5200 adhesive/sealant, which is available in small tubes at Wal-Mart. Use dropcloths and gloves; it doesn't come off easy, even before it cures.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back