Bonding glass to plastic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami.K

Materials
Oct 27, 2022
PL
Hi All,
Do you know any bonding system between glass and plastic component (except glue)?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will have to manage the very large differences in coefficients of thermal expansion. Silicone and polyurethane adhesives work well here, depending on the type of plastic involved. You must use spacers or some means to control the minimum thickness of the bonding layer. This will ensure the shear strength of the adhesive is not exceeded.

Tug: "except glue". See op.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

I'm just assuming OP has a very narrow definition of what "glue" is. Using form in place polyurethane or silicone rubbers can join the parts without relying on adhesion if the correct geometry for the joint is used.

I figured "glue" is a liquid polymer adhesive. A solid adhesive, like VHB suggested in response to his duplicate post, might be OK. The "glue" limitation is pretty severe already.

I would expect far more clarification on what they mean. They could drill a hole in the glass and use a snap fit.

Some time ago I was tasked with finding new flood lights for our fleet. No LED manufacturer used glass. I asked why and they claimed it cracked. I wanted glass because plastic lenses deteriorate. Most manufacturers attempted to bolt their lenses in and under freezing conditions the glass would crack. I finally found a manufacturer that didn't bolt their lenses in, They bedded them in silicone just like you would use glazing compound for your wood framed house windows. These fixture have been flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back