Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bonding Neoprene to other materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttx

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2002
CA
Hi,
I am hoping that someone can help me.
We are building a prototype product that requires us to bond small mylar squares to neoprene rubber. I have heard that Pressure Sensitive Adhesives are the way to go. We have tried 3M 300 LSE (low surface energy) with some success. Does anyone have any experience bonding neoprene to other materials?

Thanks,

JW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use 300L to bond neoprene to Al. and fiberglass with great results, but you can't use it out of the can. It has to be thinned and ther are other procederes involved. I can give you more details it you are interested.

How are you using the Mylar over Neoprene? How thick is the Mylar? I assume that the 300LSE stays with the Mylar when you peel away from Neo surface. Also, is the surface of the Neo smooth or textured? Using under high temp or outdoor? 300LSE is a widely used adhesive in supported and unsupported versions, (1.9 mil. and up). Let me know more about the end use and I can suggest and pressure-sensitive that will work. We rotary die-cut and laminte many of these types of items every day (Specialty Converting) in the Los Angeles Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back