Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bonding plastic bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirzapasic

Industrial
Apr 4, 2008
US
i am trying to design a best way to make a plastic bowl (like a soup bowl). injection molding will be difficult because the bowl is designed with a very big undercut on the top edge of the bowl. this is to assist people when eating chips or spooning out soup or whatever. i am researching options on collapsible cores but my main question is as follows. what would be a good material (food safe) which could possibly be used to mold two halves of this bowl (so i don't have to use collapsible core) and then hot plate weld the parts together or possibly glue? if anyone has any ideas on material or method i would appreciate it. thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're using a thermoplastic, you could mold a deep bowl with straight sides, and coin the sides inward in some kind of secondary tooling. You would have to choreograph or automate the process to get any kind of consistency.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back