Bonding polystyrene to concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

cve60069

Civil/Environmental
May 1, 2010
GB
Hello

I am wanting to sandwich a dense-polystyrene-board between two skins of concrete and I am seeking an adhesive that will bond the polystyrene to the concrete. The adhesive will be subjected to some horizontal-strain but not excessively.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a precast insulated panel (sandwhich panel). They are typically tied together with embedded inserts in the concrete. Although you will develop a bond between the foam and the concrete. Is the concrete already poured?

Same question. Have the panels without foam been cast? If not, use mechanical tie to concrete ( you can push small diameter wire through foam panels to engage concrete on either side of foam. Hook wire at each end.

*. *
*. * *
*. *. *
*. *
*. *
Concrete. Foam. Concrete

Cve60069:
Can you roughen the surface of the insul. panel a bit to improve the bond btwn. the conc. and insul. a little? That is, knife or scratch marks, not loose insul. dust. I would have this discussion, ask this question, of a few of the reputable structural adhesive manufacturers. They know their various products better than we do and should have some testing to back it up.

Ron:
I really like your new ‘sign-off ,‘ ’signature’ art work, a great addition to your usual fine posts. But, the question is, do you know any wire hookers?
:)

Ron -

That sketch sure looks like a manufactured sandwich panel that is quite efficient to make and will have more reliable structural properties. Sometimes , the wire is a part of a truss that is inserted into a wall panel (cast, not extruded) that is common in the old soviet construction and typically uses lightweight concrete on one side and normal weight on the other side.

They liked massive construction back in the day. Where else would you see a masonry prism that was 1Mx1Mx2M or a perforated sandwiched wall panel tested vertically (long dimension horizontally) to measure the in plane flexural strength? Even the test engineers shook their heads.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

Dear all

Thanks for the advice. The slab will be poured in two stages, the bottom allowed to set before laying the polystyrene and top layer.

Regards

Then you can glue the polystyrene to the first layer of concrete and place the second layer onto it...the second layer will bond without adhesive. I would still use a mechanical tie. Cast tie into first layer and impale the polystyrene on the tie, letting the tie extend through the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back