Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bonding polystyrene to plastic for use in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

norman1nz

Computer
Jan 5, 2015
Hi there,
I have a learners surfboard which is polystyrene covered in a soft foam top and with a hard plastic base similar to a body board.
The board shape and size is perfect but both the foam top and plastic base are delaminating from the polysytrene.

I'd like to find an adhesive that a) stick it all back together better than before and b) doesn't dissolve the polystyrene..
My local hardware store sells three common spray on contact adhesives that I think may be appropriate in order of strength:
Ados F2
Selleys Kwik Grip
Ados Water Based Adhesive

I'm guessing the water based one would be weakest but safest, so any suggestions if the first two would be too strong and inappropriate for polystyrene?

Cheers for any help!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wait for a second opinion, but I would lean towards a polyurethane glue (like gorilla glue.) Cures with moisture, waterproof when cured, and it foams so it will fill gaps. The foam has little strength, but compared to polystyrene, depending on the density, it should be similar.

Thanks for suggestion 1gibson. My dad is nuts about using gorilla grip on anything and everything. If there was a way to get good even coverage without too much expansion it'd be perfect. Think I'll try the spray can of water based contact adhesive and if / where it fails resort to the gorilla from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back