Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Book on debugging FE model, do you know any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitkacy1989

Structural
Dec 8, 2012
DE
Hi All,

As in subject, I am looking for some book or other good reference which would treat about debugging the FEA. E.g. troubleshooting contacts (or other non-linearity) and solution convergence in general... any kind of debugging guidance document on FEA is welcome.

Regards !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don’t know if there are any general books on this topic and it’s hard to find articles as well. However there are some resources dedicated to specific software that can also be helpful in general (even if you work in different program). For example there is a book titled Troubleshooting Finite-Element Modeling with Abaqus written by R.J. Boulbes. Software-specific courses related to nonconvergence or modeling of various problems can be helpful too. I think that some of the NAFEMS publications might be interesting for you as well.

Generally speaking the software support team should provide input over the phone/email for unusual problems like these - its what we pay them a very fair wage for at the end of the day.

What you debug is almost 99% user error in using a particular program. Most FEA programs have idiosyncratic behavior for specific conditions that cause the solver to go bonkers, but those are relatively rare.

Therefore, what you debug is peculiar to each implementation of FEA algorithm, so it's unlikely that you'll find some sort of general purpose debugging manual. You can probably find for whichever program you are using, either user forums or troubleshooting guides from the program developer.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back