Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book recommendation on "beginning" residential structural engineering 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspe

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2009
US
Hi,
I am a mechanical engineer and would like to learn more about residential structural engineering. Is there a good book that has practical problems? I have experience with the "Schaums outline" which I like very much, unfortunately there is no specific "residential structural" book in this series.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a book titled "Design of Wood Structures" by Breyer, Fridley, Pollock & Cobeen. It is quite comprehensive and although it is not suited for residential specifically, it would cover just about everything you need for residential structural design. Quite a few example problems and practical applications of wood design.

When I started years ago, I used "Simplified Design of Building Structures" by James Ambrose, Wiley, 1979. Clear examples.

Also, get a copy of the state Building Code (Residential). In some (many?) states it is really prescriptive and directive in nature.

The most interesting for me (though not structural engineering) is"Get Our House Right", by Marianne Cusato & Ben Pentreath.2007, Sterling Publishing.

I believe many states allow Professional Engineers to completely design residential work and stamp the drawings.

Good luck.

pspe...watch out switching from one primary area of expertise to another, particularly in another discipline. Many state boards frown upon that. In some states, you might be required to be a licensed structural engineer to do ANY structural design. If you are in a state that does not license by discipline, you still have to be able to prove your expertise in a particular discipline through training and experience.

Diarmud....states have always allowed engineers to design residential structures, including signing and sealing. They have often not required it, though. Some states now require it.

While residential design may seem simple enough, it can be as complicated as any structural analysis/design. If you are in a high wind or high seismic area, you'll find that residential structural design can be challenging. Further, residential designs are more geometrically complex than in past years. As usual, the "architectural needs" of the structures has over-run the practical. An example would be the use of a high roof pitch in South Florida!

Residential design can actually a lot more difficult to engineer properly than a conventional steel framed building. Most people just neglect a whole bunch of different things. I've seen plans where the EOR just completely neglected uplift requirements.

I don't mind doing residental work that done with pre-engineered wood trusses. But traditional stick framing is an engineer's nightmare.

I totally understand where pspe is coming from. I also am a degreed mechanical engineer and have been working in Civil for the last 5 years. I have been concentrating in land development which has come to a grinding halt. As a private consultant, it is important for me to recognize my limitations.

In any event, I had turned down a number of potential jobs that I thought were rather simple; things like RV garages and concrete slabs. I started asking some of the other local engineers I know and I found out that nobody had any of the resources that I knew were important to the jobs.

I spent a good chunk of change buying several books and the entire Manual of Concrete Practice (2008 rev). I posed a similar question and ended up buying Design of Wood Structures as mentioned above. I also got "Why buildings stand up" and "Why buildings fall down". I also got IBC 2006 and ASCE 7 Wind load Guide.

I am again perusing these topics trying to find answers to questions that true structural guys would find laughably simple but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I also tried to find an online college course that offered a masters in structural. I have not found one anywhere. I also can not seem to find anybody to help me, even for a fee because then I become the competition.

So, I sympathize with you- it is damn hard to learn a whole new topic when there is no (or very little) help out there; even if you are willing to pay for it as I am.

And this great eng-tips resource does not allow anybody to contact anybody which I think sucks but it does protect us from junk mail I guess.

civilsid -

Check out the University of Idaho's Engineering Outreach program. Although not "online" per se, it does offer MS and ME degrees (w/ & w/o a thesis) in Civil (Structural major) Engineering.

Kansas State may also have a similar program.

GJC

One more thing to add to the other helpful posts.

Be careful of foundation design!
Depending on the location of the site you might have to deal with swelling soils, high basement walls, high water table or anything else on a long list of issues. I haven't found a book that will help you design for most of these challenges. It comes from what has worked over the years and everyone does it slightly different.
Most failures in homes are in the foundation design, at least in my area with swelling soils.

Jim Houlette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back