Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book Recommendations - polymers, ceramics and composites

Status
Not open for further replies.

kclim

Materials
Jul 2, 2002
AU
In my line of work, I deal mainly with failure analysis of metal and alloy components. For this, I have more than a few references lying around the place.

However, on occassion we get thrown bits from the other material groups (as suggested in the topic). While these types of jobs typically get sent on to a consultant, it would be very useful to build up some knowledge in these other material fields.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend any good references, concerning polymers, ceramics and composites.

Realise this is a very broad query so I'll try to narrow down.
- Ideally, one reference on each material group is perferrable (at the same time, I understand no one book is definitive)
- Something written with materials engineers in mind (pitched at the graduate level - I have a copy of Callister which is a great materials reference, but I'm after something a bit higher level)
- The text(s) should have good references to other literature, should I need to delve further
- A good table of contents and index for easy searching (not sure if this goes without saying, I've seen some pretty ordinary indexes (indices?) in books)
- While the text should be a good general reference, additional focus on damage mechanisms and failure would be handy (case studies would be a bonus)

Looking forward to any recommendations

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All the fields mentioned in your OP are changing so fast keeping up up with the curve would be a chore for any specific topic. Even if the ink is still wet you are behind.

The latest books on Ceramics.

One many books from ASM International.

A good entry point for the composites world.

A very good source of the latest technical books on composites as well as other topics.

I'll try to get some specific recommendations on composites from some ex colleagues now in the business.

kclim,

For plastics/polymers, I suggest reviewing some of the information available from SPE and PDL. The links below will direct you to their websites. I think that you will find the book "Failure of Plastics" by Brostow and Corneliussen to be the most detailed with regard to understanding polymer failure mechanisms. The book "Plastics Failure Guide" by Myer Ezrin is another book on the subject, which is oriented a little more towards engineering than science. If I had to pick one, it would be no contest-- get Brostow's book. The PDL series of books is also quite comprehensive, but cost prohibitive. See if you can't review some of them from a University library. Just google the other two to find the publishers or various booksellers sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back