Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book recommendations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKhan01

Automotive
Dec 1, 2010
US
Hi, currently I am working on a few sensors and parts that I need engineering info on. Can you please provide recommended books on the following parts and categories:

-Tire pressure monitoring systems
-Ignition coils and it's relation to an engine's RPM
-Engine's, and all it's technical info like calculating spark timing, frequency on vibration and such.
-Variable valve timing actuators
-ECU's how they are designed and how they take input data from sensors, calculate the data and give an output.

I appreciate the help,

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you needing these books to design your own system? Or are you looking to interface with some existing systems?

In my experience, books can be useful for general background knowledge, but on an ECM by ECM basis, there are always differences in how data is managed.

In general, I'd suggest starting off looking at either an EFI101 type website, or maybe Megasquirt, as a resource for general theory. If you are looking to do things at an OEM level, you need to quickly work beyond what they provide. The last time I looked, they did not really cover EMI/EMC, design for manufacturability, or many other issues OEMs design for.

For a quick and dirty description of most of the systems you described, the Bosch "blue book" (I believe the official title is the Bosch Automotive Handbook) is nice to have around. It summarizes a lot of different vehicle systems and provides some basic theory, but it is brief by design. The topics you have listed are potentially very broad, and as bradrs said it would be useful to know your end goal.

If you need specific information on particular systems, it would be tough to beat factory documentation on each particular item, especially ECMs/PCMs. For sensors and the like, you should be able to find data sheets relatively easily. If you're trying to reverse engineer factory systems and/or need OEM-level information without OEM-level access, well, all I can say is I feel your pain. I still have a sore spot on my forehead from smashing into that wall.

Thx guys for the reply. The end game is basically how to test the parts properly and the theory behind it. OEM data is non-existent so I can only go by all data and similar programs or factory service manuals that are unbelievably vague.

I am going to check the SAE books also as they have some good selections at times.

So currently I emailed a few professors, many have pointed me to the Bosch book. To me this is to vague.

crerus75 : Where can I find data sheets on sensors?

This is not my area, but I have been involved in leading edge in other areas.

The published data always tends to be vague and general.

Often the individual component manufacturers have data they will share only with parties where they see some sales or a mutual interest. They may require confidentiality agreements before disclosure. That gets tricky when they disclose secret info you already had as your secret also.

What is a sharp black line in the minds of the developer, is often a grey smudge in reality. The line between true innovation and the next logical step to someone well versed in the art is the cause of much conjecture.

Anyway back closer to subject, I expect you at the level you seem to be seeking, you will find reluctance due to the information being regarded as proprietary. This might or might not be justified, but it is what it is.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

There is technican-level information available if you're willing to sift through repair manuals and such. It is not engineering level and is usually limited to what you can test in the field. Engineering information is guarded jealously, as patprimmer has said.

If you work for Ford's powertrain lab, Bosch will happily discuss fuel injector and ECM characteristics with you. If you are an independent, they won't even take your calls. You definitely won't find a single book that has specific characteristics of the components you listed for various manufacturers simply because such a database is too costly and too valuable to share. An ECM remanufacturer might have info on a lot of different systems, but they sure as hell won't share it with you.

Once again, an idea of what you want to do with this info might help. If you want to test a handful of sensors, repair manuals might be of use. If you want to set up a remanufacturing facility or build your own ECU, you'll probably have to reverse engineer quite a bit of stuff.

There are SAE standards on many of these systems. For instance J973 Ignition System Measurements Procedure tells you how to quantify various performance characteristics. They will always lag behind the state of the art.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back