Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Book suggestions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mizzoueng

Mechanical
May 30, 2006
US
I'm looking to buy book pertaining to boiler design and power plant deign, can anyone give me a few titles/authors to look up on Amazon. I just started in an Energy division and don't have any books to help me out. I am constantly borrowing the older guys books, but most are out of date or I can't find them on the 'net.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks guys, but I can access Knovel from work. The problem is that I do not know which books to use. I am looking for the title of books that mechanical engineers use in boiler design, duct design, anything to do with power plants every day.

Of course there is "STEAM" from Babcock & Wilcox. Believe they just released the 41st edition. Has mostly full derivations of the heat mass transfer principles for any gas or coal fired boiler. Otherwise a darn good general reference.

I have a book entitled "Combustion: Fossil Power Systems" by Combustion Engineering, Inc. Its copyright is 1981, but it seems pretty relevant. Lots of good performance curves and stuff about fuel in general.

Another book on my shelf is "The Control of Boilers" by Sam G. Dukelow copyright 1991. Haven't had a chance to delve too much into this one, but it looks pretty thorough. This one might be difficult to find.

For heat exchangers, check out "Steam Surface Condensers" by Richard E. Putman copyright 2001. Performance and efficiency study techniques and evaluations. The title says specifically condensers but there is alot that could apply to feedwater heaters and DA's.

Check out Ebay for books as well.

I personally am still looking for a good turbine/generator book.

~Sam

There is an excellent book titled Power Plant Engineering written by the employess Black & Veatch. You can google it by title and author.

Thanks stinems, I actually flipped through that combustion book last week when I was on a jobsite. One of the plant engineers had it and recommended it.

I am going to look up the big boys (Riley, Foster-Wheeler, BnW) and see if they have any books online.

Thanks jetman1, I'll look that one up too.

Where to start...

Ken Cotton's Evaluating and improving steam plant performance.

B & W STEAM

100 years of power plant development is good.

Combustion fossil power by combustion engineering is good

If you have access to EPRI material there is gobs of good reads.

Martin "foundations" is a good reference for material handling

You gotta have Crane "410"

Get you a steam tables book and keep it handy and learn how to use it

but the most valuable is none of these.

here is a secret

the most valuable references are the vendor manuals provided by the OEM's of your plant. For the turbine that would be GE or westinghouse or alstom. For the boiler it would be CE or B&W or whoever. Pumps, condenser, etc. Take those home and flip thru them at night and you will be a power plant whiz before you know it.

Here are some recommended short course if you can get your company to send you:

General Physics Fundamentals of Power Plant performance

MDA's Evaluating and improving steam turbine performance

ASME has got a bunch of short courses on boiler code and power piping that are valuable.

Final thought. Listen to the operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back