Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Books on mechanical design

Status
Not open for further replies.

srki

Computer
Aug 9, 2004
ZA
Hi all,
I recently bought a book for techical drawing and design, but what I was realy looking for was design. Can anybody advize me what book I can buy for mechanical design, sheetmetal, which is going to give me good idea how to design metal boxes, from basic design to advanced, to solve problems and implement functional requirements of such.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking for a book that is completely SW related and is just sheet metal?

There are no books that are Mechanical design for Sheet metal, just refering to SW.

There are training manuals that you get when you take the Sheet metal training, but they don't give you Mechanical Deesign.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Surely there must be some books on sheet metal design, as it is such a huge industry. Sometimes articles turn up in magazines such as Machine Design about how to design specific or unusual features. Possibly a search of Amazon or a similar place would turn up something. If you find anything, let us know. I don't do much with sheet metal but a book about it might come in handy sometime.

John Woodward

Hi guys,
thank you very much for your letters. I was not looking for a book, strictly for SW, but for metal boxes, with ideas for fasteners, hinges, for ideas, what I have to pay attention, when designing metal constructions, lets say for constructions for big billboards whitch will carry sign, am I going lo use "L" channels, o rather "C", or "H" or "I" channel rather. What dimension it will be, will it be 150x50 profile, or maybe 200x200. Things like that, or even, designing box 3000x1500, will I use 1.6mm steel, or rather 2mm steel, because of size, I should use stiffeners in the middle, to make construction stiffer, or lets say, on that box I have to use doors, will it be 3 or better 4 doors, will they be swing or sliding, if sliding, I have to design some sort of wheels, maybe using berings, and guidance, those guidances will slide along a groove, which is going to be part of a profile attached on the door frame. Next question will be tolerances for guides and groove, which take me to thoots will bearing paths will be affected by the groves for guidance, or that idea will be bad altogether, and I have to design something else... I know those questions are tough for someone who is commong from different field, and require proper course, or better school for such, but at the moment I do not have a time and resources for propper education, and some sort of book will not replace propper education, but will help me and speed-up my work and design intention thoots. Hope I did not confuse you. I hope I am not asking for impossible, because everything I know, I studdied alone, and reccon, if one is got a will, only a matter of time will be untill gets its goal.

Big regards!

P.S. Sory, because of my english, I am sure, that sounded so bad and probably a bit confusing, but hope you got my point...

A possibility would be some of the older books about aircraft design. They use all kinds of sections in the wings and fuselage and there must be some clever ways of attaching everything. Also the hvac industry uses a lot of sheet metal construction. There are probably some handbooks on sheet metal duct design. Companies that make sheet metal stampings might have handbooks. You might not find one single source, but you could collect information from a number of different industries. Don't overlook the machine design textbooks like Shigley if you are using any fasteners and bearings.

John Woodward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back