Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

books on stress analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikrameng

Mechanical
May 12, 2005
US
are there any good books or online classes that teach you the basics of stress analysis. I am going to do stress anlysis on my new job using COSMOS works

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Very, very wise!

No one should ever, and I mean not ever, run finite element analysis software without a thorough understanding of the basics and fundamentals of stress analysis.

Oh, your question, use google to search for online classes and/or ebay for books.

COSMOS offers training classes. You get as much theory as you ask for...keep asking your instructor "why does COSMOS do it this way"! If you run into too much trouble, contact Jose Uthuppan at WeSolve, Inc. in Pennsylvania, USA. His number is 610-366-9663.

Garland E. Borowski, PE

Did you save your text books from college? If not, you might be able to purchase a used Mechanics of Material text book.

I am going through Cook's book titled "Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analasys" and am going through the problems on my own. I have hear there is a solutions CD to some of the problems. If anyone knows where I can obtain it please post the URL.

Thanks

vikrameng,

books on stress analysis or FE analysis ...

what discipline ? ... aero, civil, bio-eng, ...

for stress anlysis of aiplane structures i prefer the tried and tested Bruhn, michael niu isn't bad either (but i think bruhn gives more derivation and explaination)

good luck

The following books are helpful:
(i) Theory of elasticity by S.P. Timosheko
(ii) Fundations of Solid Mechanics by Y.C. Fung
or Classical and Computational Solid Mechanics
(iii) Theory of plate and Shells by S.P. Timosheko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back