Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boolean Operations, removing using a modified part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsoGreg

Mechanical
Jun 29, 2004
US
I have 3 Parts: A, B, and C. I am first doing a boolean operation where I remove A from B, leaving me a modified B. Then I want do a boolean operation removing from C the modified B part. First, is this even possible in Catia V5R13?

When I create the assembly with C and the modified B, a warning comes up saying of B, "contextual part not inserted in its context," but it still allows me to place it in the assembly.

Then when I click on the remove button as try to actually remove from C the modified B a warning comes up that says "PartBody: you can't use this feature" and does not let me remove this.

Is there something I'm missing, another way, or is Catia not capable of doing this?

Thanks,
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg,
If I read correctly you are trying to do boolean ops at the product level. You need to do this at the part level with bodies. At least this is how I have always done it. You need to insert the bodies in the part level.

Besides using part bodies, you want Part C to be the first (primary) part body.

Your spec tree should look something like this:

Part C
- Pad.1 (or some solid feature)
- Pad.2
- Remove.1
Part B
- Pad.3
- Remove.2
Part A
- Pad.4
- Pocket.1
- Fillet.1

Is there anyway to do use publish to share surfaces from one part to another so the boundary can be used for a boolean operation?

I remember being able to do something similar on V4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back