Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
from Flight today ...
"Boom Supersonic reveals new design for Overture
19 Jul 2022

Supersonic aircraft developer Boom has introduced a new design for its Overture flagship aircraft, which it hopes to fly for the first time in early 2026."

You gotta love the optimism ! A new design supersonic plane flying within 4 years.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can see the area rule in the fuselage body, now.
The animation seems to be the brainchild of a graphic artist, not an aero engineer.
That wing will cost 100 million dollars to make.
The engine nacelles don't look very realistic. Hard to pin down exactly what looks odd but there doesn't seem to be any bypass. How long has it been since a commercial jet engine was put into service with ZERO jet bypass? 1950's? The Concorde? (maybe I just answered my own question).

Watch the video and take note of the inset cabin windows. That's not realistic. Even subsonic airliners keep the windows flush to the skin.

More like a slightly sculptured Concorde to me.

65 to 80 passengers?? Really?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

WindWright,

Is bypass meaningful on something that cruises at supersonic speed? They put turbofans on jet fighters, but jet fighters briefly dash supersonic. They cruise subsonic.

--
JHG

Hi Drawoh,
Maybe there was a time that I knew the answer to that, but I don't any more. I was hoping somebody would pipe up to my leading question...

Greg,

The noise signature of the inlet is influenced by the shock waves formed off the cowl at design speed. The paper describes an inlet design with a lowered cowl lip angle, which is accomplished by not focusing the compression shock waves to a single point at the cowl lip at design speed. The design should lower shock (boom) signatures off the engine cowling, but they spend a lot of time focusing on the distortion (non-uniformity of total pressure) of the incoming air at the first compressor stage, which is worse than it would be for a shockier engine cowl with more uniform/focused compression.

The bypass flow is intended to get compressed by a fan and shoved overboard for more thrust (or fed to areas needing cooling, then shoved overbaord). The amount of bypass vs. core jet thrust decreases as you go above Mach 1, I can recall running the calcs in Aerothermodynamics class...but it's been a few years. The F22 engine (P&W F119) uses a bypass ratio that is pretty low (0.3) compared to airliners (climbing every day, typically well over 7*), but has the ability to push the fighter along at Mach 1.8 without using afterburning.

American Airlines is putting 'skin-in-the-game' for the Boom Overture...

Boom boosted by American’s 20-unit Overture order

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Reminds me of the Concorde whereby several airlines purchased delivery options just in case so as not to be left behind, but got cold feet at the end. BOAC and Air France had a gun to their heads so couldn't back out.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

Which just reminded me...

An old service engineer for CONVAIR had unique names and memes for most of the airlines in existence in the 1970s. The ones I sorta remember....

Lufthansa [loosely translates to] = 'Left hanging'
Air France = Air Chance
BOAC = Better on a Camel
Aeroflop
United Scarelines
In United We'll Fly in Delta we'll Fall
TWA = Truly Worst Airlines
Brannif = BrandX
SAS = Scandinavian Alcoholics System
JAL = Joy and Luck
PSA = Pretty Small Airlines
Beastern Airlines
Northworst Airlines
Southworst Airlines

I'd better stop while I'm ahead...

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

at least QANTAS didn't make that list !

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Maybe the combined demands of (a) flying supersonic and (b) using vegetable oil fuel, and being unable to compromise on either, is what doomed the Boom.

I like how P&W said a supersonic engine was "tangental". Everything I'm working on coming down the pipeline in 5-10 years is electric.

Is it even remotely feasible for even a fairly well funded start up to develop a such a monster on their own? I feel like that might be even harder than SpaceX developing the Raptors. Has CFD gotten good enough?
I think I have every turbine engine design book published, and burner design seems like that's just black magic the big guys keep close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back