Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Boring Logging Template for Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilGuy89

Civil/Environmental
Oct 11, 2014
US
The worst part for me as a geotech was writing your logs in the field and then having to go back to the office the next day and manually enter them into the logging program (we use gINT). I think the whole process could easily be improved upon if you could create your log in the field on a tablet and send it straight back to the office. You could set up a whatever logging template your client needs into the app and create finished logs right in the field. It would save a lot of time, and allow the PM back in the office to get real time data from the field much more quickly. It would also reduce the risk of getting soil/water on your logs and ruining them (provided you have a sturdy case for the tablet) Does anyone know if a product like this exists? I have several friends who work in software development, and if nothing like this exists now (and people think it is useful), I would like to try and work with them to make it happen.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pretty sure gINT has a tablet ready software whereby data is entered into drop down boxes at site. Uploading back in the office automatically generates all the requisite logs and data sheets.

HoleBASE (Keynetix) have certainly been doing the same for years, I used Pocket SI around 10 years ago on handheld PDA's. There is a lengthy discussion on linkedin about this exact topic, see Roger Chandler of Keynetix for more info.

Is there a reason you cannot use a rugged laptop and your current software in the field? Getac, Panasonic and a number of others make rugged laptops that would run this software. Getac supplies many of the data collectors for surveyors and they have options to send from the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back