Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bosch Common Rail Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

don1001

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
US
Hi I am new to this engine development stuff so I have a lot to learn. I am taking a position with a research company in the near future and I am trying to get a head start on one of my first assignments.

I will need to do a make vs. buy on a controller/driver for development purposes. The system has to drive a Bosch common rail injection system. I am wondering if there are off the shelf development controllers that can be purchased or if anybody can advise on companies that can do the development as well as the price ranges I might expect.

Like I said I am trying to educate myself before day one. I know enough to be dangerous right now but this is what I currently know to be needed. Has to be a multi-pulse system with overdrive voltage capability. They also want to duty cycle each injection pulse and electronically vary the duty cycle at each injector. We also need a to to control the fuel pump bypass valve. Basically need to be able to control the each injector for timing, duration, pulses, voltage overdrive, duty cycles, pressure and phasings.

Thanks for the help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know if your'e talking about gasoline or Diesel.

There are several companies that make universal controllers for automotive aftermarket. Electromotive, Accel, and others. You can find them on the internet. To get a custom unit you might need high volumes or deep pockets.

If you need to educate yourself try one of the books such as Probst's book about Bosch systems. There are several but that is a good one. Some of them are not very good.

Oops, sorry, it's for Diesel not gasoline. Thanks for the reference material. I'll check it out. When you say deep pockets, how deep? I've heard numbers around $150K are not unusual for a custom controller. What can I expect for a universal controller cost wise?

From what I know about how hardware is controlled, you need not only a very flexible hardware driver but software written for signal processing inputs from sensors to arrive at the end control results versus load, speed and all the operating stratigy needs.
A good place to get some idea of how involved this gets is to take a look at an overview of how Ford power train control works on their diesel engines.
Motorcraft site has the 'overviews' under OBDII. You will see how a lot of hardware is controlled, tested for fault, and operation. And it's all free for down loading with lots of paper loaded in the printer.

Hi don1001,

I got into this problem months ago. Bosch, Siemens, Delphi and Denso are not supplying any kind of development ECU to anyone ! ( I know I used to work in R&D in Delphi Diesel). There is however an alternative. I am currently developing a benzin/diesel development ECU for my personal usage. The cost are not high as you are mentionning, we have reached some lower costs as that.

If you are interested, do not hesitate to contact me. We are expecting to obtain an ECU for about 3000 euros.

You might look at the Megasquirt.com DIY EFI system. It is intended for gasoline but might be adaptable for diesel. Has free software for setting up the injection maps. It works on manifold pressure, throttle position, RPM, coolant and air temperatures.

jettopgun:

I am interested in the ECU you mention for common rail CIDI components. For example, what type of injector and pump is it designed to drive, and what type of feedback does it require?

Please let me know where I can learn more.

Regards,
Terry

Hi tbuelna,

The common rail system WILL be designed to drive any type of commaon rail CDI injectors. That means the solenoids one from Bosch, Delphi and Siemens ( most probably the Denso ones too ). This ECU should be ready at the end of the year.

You WILL be able to find info on the website. I had a look yesterday and they are still building it. I talked to the guys and they will put an email link for you on their web site so you can contact them. the web site is
The ECU is designed to drive the common rail injector, all three suppliers pumps and the pressure sensors from the rails. The valve regulation is normaly mounted on the pump.
From what I have heard, it should be requiring a bosch 60-2 teeth systems for the synchronisation, but I am not sure. I have seen the specs of the ECU and it has all the normal function of any other ECU, temperatures, mass flow, water temp, turbo control... It looks fairly configurable. I do not know about the software, I guess you will have to ask directly.

The web site should be updated at the end of the week, most probably, on monday you should find some contact info on ( that is way the director told me anyway !)

please let us know how you are progressing.

Hi tbuelna,

I spoke to the guys at team74. They still have some problem with their ISP and web site but manage to put an email link on their website. I told them that you may want to contact them and are waiting for your email.

Good luck

I am interested in controlling the new Common Rail Diesel injectors and I would also like to find technical specications on injectors from various manufactures. I have searched the internet but no luck. I am interested in these for possible Aerospace applications. I am interesting in knowing how they handle the pressure from the compression and combustion. Can anyone help?

hi jet topgun
i too am looking at ways to test common rail injectors i run my own small diesel fuel injection repair business and dont want to pay over the odds for hartridge test equipment when i know there must be a cheaper way, not that im tight but i would have to repair so many before it would pay for itself.
please keep info coming.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back