Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bounding Box command ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hims1980

Aerospace
Jul 9, 2012
FR
Hello Everyone,

I want to check the maximum overall size of an oval solid. How can i check that ?

I mean the maximum length in "y" direction, maximum breadth in "x" direction & maximum height in "z" direction.

Is there any command like Bounding Box ?

Regards,

Himanshu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This question came up several years ago, but Fernando's link didn't show the threads I recall.

Anyway, there are two solutions within CATIA for this: 1. the Rough Stock command, and 2. the Measure Inertia command.

The Rough Stock command is available in the GSD workbench, but only when you have one of the NC Manufacturing licenses.

The Measure Inertia command requires that you customize the options and include the Principal Axes, and the three dimensions will be displayed at the bottom of the Measure branch of the tree (BBLx, BBLy, BBLz).

Here's a post I found when searching for "rough stock":
I recall several users posted that both of these commands were based on the Principal Axes, which is not always the smallest bounding box. So, macros were suggested and written. (A previous client of mine, wrote a macro that added 1/2" of stock all around the minimum stock size.)

Thankyou very much, Jackk

After joining eng-tips.com i found it very very useful for CATIA V5 Users to learn a lot of new things everyday.

Ferdo, before posting this thread i tried to search with "bounding box" but i was not able to get my desired result from those threads.

I should have searched with "rough stock" as jackk did [smile]

Regards,

Himanshu

Problem is not everyone has NC manufacturing license...but...

jackk said:
I recall several users posted that both of these commands were based on the Principal Axes, which is not always the smallest bounding box. So, macros were suggested and written. (A previous client of mine, wrote a macro that added 1/2" of stock all around the minimum stock size.)

If you have the license and your company agree with loosing some raw material (which means increase of the costs of the final product) you can use "rough stock" command as jackk pointed.

If I remember well, also in CATIA Portable Script Center there is a Bounding Box macro which can be easy modified to add how much you want around bounding box (and several other solutions can be found in those threads).

Regards
Fernando

Hi Ferdo,
When running Bounding Box scrip from Catia Portable I get an error:
ERR_1002
Description: Object required
Line: 96
Colum: 4
Here is the line from script
Code:
 Set hybridBody1 = hybridBodies1.Add

Any clue how to fix it?

Running R21
Thx, Puk

I'm not running directly from Catia Portable; I've created my own folder - "library" with a couple of scripts that I've copied from the Catia Portable.
Then from "Tool" pull down menu when you select "Macros" command you have to define the "path" where your scripts are stored and they will show up as "available" for you to run.

Thanks, puk for your reply.

But i am new to CATIA Portable Script Center, can you please tell me where (CATIA Portable) lies ?

Regards,

Himanshu

Thanks, puk for the link.

Ferdo, i have found the CATIA Portable Script center .chm file & this is a gold storage place for me for CATIA Macro programming & other useful tips. It's a WOW!!!

Thanks, Ferdo can you please tell me that do you have the latest .chm file with you in which you may have updated many other new things ?

Because the one i got is from the thread posted in the year of 2010.

Regards,

Himanshu

Hi,

@ hims1980
The last version is v2 and it is what you have from that thread indeed. From that time I didn't create another chm file (luck of time to do this) but you can find a lot of other new macros created (by others or by me) using search in different CATIA forums.

@ puk
Code should work fine in CATScript at least up to CATIA v5r18, I didn't do any test in newer versions.

Regards
Fernando

@ferdo
indeed it was working fine; issue started when upgrading @R21.
Any "free" time on you to check the code in newer releases?

Thanks Ferdo for checking up; at least the script is not corrupt.
I've tested on a coleague machine and is working; there has to be something else - hopefully not related to catia - that is causing this error on my machine.

Hi! Ferdo,

I have copied the .chm file of CATIA Portable Script Center in my laptop & i am not able to view the codes of any scripts on the right hand side of the window.

Whenever i click or double click on any script on the left hand side tree, i get a message on right side as "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled".

Can you please help me out for this ?

Please see attached jpg for your reference.

Regards,

Himanshu

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7130184b-d3f4-49fa-a095-9947e84d194a&file=chm_file.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back