Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boundry Layer Control 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

inventor222

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2004
US
Hi,
Does anyone know of any recent studies or papers on Boundry Layer Control (particularly by suction)
Thanks,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not in particular but I wouldn't expect a recent study to completely contradict earlier studies. What you might be looking for is a study that is closer to your desired airfoil / speed combination. A 30 yrs old study of just what you need will very very likely be much better than a current study using the latest data reduction on the highest speed computer of something different.

Look up the C-17 heavy transport in Jane's. I think it employs boundary layer control AND blown flaps to reduce landing speeds and distances.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

You can control the boundary layer by sucking it away, but then the airfoil gets covered with bug remains, modifyings its profile, and the suction doesn't work so well anymore.

NASA learned that, by building such an airplane, maybe 20 years ago. They must have written _something_ down...

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Since its reincarnation I've noticed the strangest thing: some reports are now available that weren't before, and others that were available have now disappeared.
Always bear in mind that the LARC website is the list of FREE reports, and there's an equally extensive list of reports for sale.

Steven Fahey, CET
"Simplicate, and add more lightness" - Bill Stout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back