Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

box culvert design

Status
Not open for further replies.

fermero1957

Structural
Jul 10, 2013
CO
thread726-334729
I have worked with the design of box culverts some years ago: I have developed a software very easy to use and complete
The most popular method to analyze is, without doubt, the matricial analysis (stiffness method). You must consider the box supported in the lowest part of each wall.
The most common box culverts have between 1 and 4 cells. Tle lenght of each cell is normally max 6 m (19.7 ft).
The box can be designed per m of length (1 foot if english units)
The most complex part in the process are the loads
There 3 options:
a) The height of soil over the upper slab is less or equal to .6 m (1.97 ft). In this case the truck effect is full
b) The 2nd option es with height between .6 m and 2.4 m. In this case the load is partially distributed under each truck axis
c) The height es greater than 2.4 m: The truck effect in this case is 0
Don`t forget that for the cases 1 and 2 the loads are moveable and for each position (with a step of 10 cm or 4 inches) of the truck you must calculate the displacements, shears and moments and after all you must the maximum envelope to design all the members of the box culvert
In addition, you must take in account at least 3 laod stages:
Without lateral earth effect, with earth and with truck.
The process by hand would be very very long and tedious.
You must ckeck too the maximum crack width
I want know about new USA publications in this area and hearing about ideas, comments and so on
Fernando A Medina R
Bogotá, Colombia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Boxcar only allows a single box to be analyzed. BRASS-CULVERT Version 2.3.6 allows up to (4) quadruple boxes to be analyzed and gives much more options and output. To me this is the best concrete box culvert software I have ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back