Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Box section welded cantilever racking calculation advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

arankin1983

Agricultural
Mar 18, 2024
GB
Hi Guys, Im completely new on this so really hope you can help.
I need to produce a cantilever type racking for inside a shipping container of mine that will be situated in a level concrete yard. The plan is to have them fitted tight into the top corner of the container and out at the bottom by around 200mm so that they are effectively wedged into place and the tilt will help prevent goods falling forward. There will be a single heavy screw through the bottom of each foot just to ensure they are held in the correct position, the racks will be along the full length of the container at 1000mm spacing. I have calculated that the maximum each individual shelf would be required to carry is 144kg, spacing between shelves will be approx 330mm so 7 shelves per upright (6 with load) therefore each rack upright max load would be around 870kg

Can anyone advise the weight of box section would be required to safely carry this load? I was planning on using 100mm x 50mm box section

Container_racking_xa9mqc.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see three options.

Option 1) Ask the internet forum to do the engineering for you. Pray you get someone who is willing to do the design for free and anonymously, pray that their design is sufficient.

Option 2) Calculate the bending moment and shear forces for all applicable load combinations. Use prevailing steel code to determine adequate size members. Detail connections and supporting members to resist all applied loading.

Option 3) Hire a structural engineer experienced in this type of structure to provide you with a design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back