Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bracing Masonry Walls from Z Purlins

Status
Not open for further replies.

fepc

Structural
Oct 27, 2004
I have a masonry wall which extends to the SSR deck and is perpindicular to the Z purlin. The wall requires lateral bracing. How would you brace the wall and still allow the purlin to move with temperature changes and not put stress on the wall? Vertical movement is allowed by having a 1 inch space between the masonry and the purlin. This space is filled with fire sealant.

At another location the wall is several feet below the purlin and the angle braces for the wall extend diagonally to the purlin. But the question still remains how do you allow the purlin to move and still brace the wall?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is difficult to describe the detail that I use but I will give it a shot.

You need to have an angle on both sides of the wall (supported by the roof purlins or diagonals) tight to the wall but free to slide up and down with the movement of the roof purlins.

Another option would be to have one angle bolted to the wall (supported by the roof purlins or diagonals) with a vertical slotted hole.

I hope that I was clear in my desription.

fepc,

Try to convince the architect to frame this out of girts as this would be much more appropriate in this situation.

If the purlins are supporting the top of the wall then they need to be rigidly connected to the wall - i.e. no allowance for thermal movement.

Cant see any way around this one unless you build a separate isolated structural cieling that supports the wall but is not connected to the structure.

csd

jike'

I have details just like you describe which allow for vertical movement, however what happens when there is thermal movement in the purlins perpindicular to the wall? If the purlins expand and contract with temperature they will put a force into the wall.If the building is long and the wall is near one end the movement in the purlins could be a 1/2 inch or more.

Thanks for your response.

csd72

Thanks for your response. I am sure this is not a new problem and must have been solved before as there are a lot of metal buildings constructed.

Thermal movement perpendicular to the wall doesn't concern me as long as it doesn't overstress the wall. I might use the same formula as that used to control the maximum deflection of a diaphragm with masonry walls. I don't have that formula handy since I am at home.

If the wall falls down in an EQ because the wall was not adequately restrained at the top, allowance for thermal movement will be a moot point, and the reason for the failure. Fix the purlin to the wall.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back