Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Braised Joint Shrinkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfly9891

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2009
US
Can anyone add advice on the following topic?

I'm considering braising a titanium shroud to a titanium impeller using silver based braise compound. When choosing the best solder alloy for the job, what should I consider? CTE? Ductility? Interfacial Chemical Bonding Strength?

The diameter of the bond is about 1". The braised joint will be cooled to about 50K (-370 F). The braise weld that holds the shroud to the impeller will see some shear load during accel and decel (design speed of about 100,000 rpm). This is a constant velocity machine with low accel and decel values so the shear load should be the least of my worries.

I'm concerned about shrink rates of the joint and bonding strength. How do I keep the joint from cracking or separating?

Ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen copper/copper and copper/stainless joints silver brazed. They do very well at cryogenic temperature. Don't know about titanium, but I'd think that as long as the bond is good at ambient, it will work well at cryogenic temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back